ShareThis Page
World

Alton Sterling's family sues Baton Rouge over police shooting

| Tuesday, June 27, 2017, 9:45 a.m.
Na'Quincy, 10, son of Alton Sterling, looks back at his father's grave as he leaves Alton's burial, at the Mount Pilgrim Benevolent Society Cemetery in Baton Rouge, La., July 15, 2016.
REUTERS
Na'Quincy, 10, son of Alton Sterling, looks back at his father's grave as he leaves Alton's burial, at the Mount Pilgrim Benevolent Society Cemetery in Baton Rouge, La., July 15, 2016.
Alton Sterling, who was fatally shot by police in Baton Rouge, La., on July 5, 2016, is pictured in this undated photo.
REUTERS
Alton Sterling, who was fatally shot by police in Baton Rouge, La., on July 5, 2016, is pictured in this undated photo.
A still image shows Alton Sterling restrained before he is fatally shot by police during an incident captured on the mobile phone camera of convenience store owner Abdullah Muflahi in Baton Rouge, La.
REUTERS
A still image shows Alton Sterling restrained before he is fatally shot by police during an incident captured on the mobile phone camera of convenience store owner Abdullah Muflahi in Baton Rouge, La.

BATON ROUGE, La. — The children of a black man gunned down by a white police officer in Louisiana's capital sued the city on Tuesday, claiming the shooting fit a pattern of racist behavior and excessive force by its police department.

Attorneys for Alton Sterling's five children filed the wrongful death lawsuit in state court against the city of Baton Rouge, its police department and police chief and the two officers involved in last summer's deadly encounter. Officer Blane Salamoni shot Sterling six times during a struggle outside a convenience store where the 37-year-old black man was selling homemade CDs.

The Justice Department investigated Sterling's shooting and announced last month that it will not file charges against Salamoni or Officer Howie Lake II, who also wrestled Sterling to the ground but didn't fire his gun. Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry's office has opened its own review of the case to determine if any state criminal charges are warranted.

The family's lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages, claims Sterling's shooting was the product of poor training and inadequate police procedures. The suit also cites two instances in which Baton Rouge police officers allegedly sent racist text messages to colleagues, including an apparent slur against people who protested Sterling's death.

“The City of Baton Rouge has a long standing pervasive policy of tolerating racist behavior by some of its officers,” the suit says. “There have also been multiple verbal racist comments by officers reported to the department. This tolerance of such behavior directly leads to the mistreatment of individuals of African American descent.”

Plaintiffs' attorney L. Chris Stewart said he expects current and former police officers to come forward, testify under oath and back up “everything” alleged in the suit.

“This isn't just lawyers talking and arguing. We have talked to officers who have said something is wrong and it must stop,” Stewart said.

Two cellphone videos of the July 5 shooting quickly spread on social media, setting off nightly protests. The officers' body cameras and a store surveillance camera also recorded the encounter, but those videos have not been publicly released.

Federal investigators found that Salamoni shot Sterling three times after saying that Sterling was reaching for a gun in his pocket, and fired three more shots into Sterling's back when he began to sit up and move. The officers recovered a loaded revolver from Sterling's pocket.

Sterling was in “agony” for minutes before he died “as a result of the vicious, negligent, and unreasonable fatal actions” of the officers, the family's lawsuit said.

Baton Rouge Police Sgt. Don Coppola, a department spokesman, said Tuesday he can't comment on pending litigation. An attorney for Salamoni didn't immediately respond to a text message and voicemail seeking comment.

Acting U.S. Attorney Corey Amundson said during a news conference last month that there wasn't enough evidence to prove that Salamoni or Lake acted unreasonably and willfully after they responded to a report of a man with a gun outside the Triple S Food Mart.

The officers told Sterling to put his hands on the hood of a car and struggled with him when he didn't comply, according to Amundson. Lake shocked Sterling with a stun gun before the officers wrestled him to the ground, Amundson said. Lake also is white.

Sterling had a history of “adverse breathing problems and could not lie on his back for any extended period of time,” the lawsuit said.

Both officers remain on administrative leave, a standard procedure.

Nearly 200 protesters were arrested in Baton Rouge last July after Sterling's death. Racial tensions were simmering in the city when a black military veteran from Missouri ambushed and killed three Baton Rouge law enforcement officers and wounded three others before being shot dead on July 17.

“We can't do anything to bring Alton Sterling back,” said plaintiffs' attorney Michael Adams. “This is about his children and this is about bringing this community together.”

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.

click me