ShareThis Page
World

Cleveland diocese to out abusive priests

| Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018, 11:39 a.m.
In this March 28, 2007, file photo, Bishop George Murry celebrates mass at Saint Columba Cathedral in Youngstown, Ohio. The Roman Catholic diocese was the first in Ohio to announce that it would release a list of priests who have been removed from parishes because of sexual abuse and misconduct allegations. Now The Associated Press has learned that a second Ohio diocese, Steubenville, plans to release a list. (Michael Semple//Tribune Chronicle via AP, File)
In this March 28, 2007, file photo, Bishop George Murry celebrates mass at Saint Columba Cathedral in Youngstown, Ohio. The Roman Catholic diocese was the first in Ohio to announce that it would release a list of priests who have been removed from parishes because of sexual abuse and misconduct allegations. Now The Associated Press has learned that a second Ohio diocese, Steubenville, plans to release a list. (Michael Semple//Tribune Chronicle via AP, File)
In this Jan. 30, 2007, file photo, Bishop George Murry of the Diocese of Youngstown appears at a news conference in Youngstown, Ohio. The Roman Catholic diocese was the first in Ohio to announce that it would release a list of priests who have been removed from parishes because of sexual abuse and misconduct allegations. Now The Associated Press has learned that a second Ohio diocese, Steubenville, plans to release a list. (William D. Lewis/The Vindicator via AP, File)
In this Jan. 30, 2007, file photo, Bishop George Murry of the Diocese of Youngstown appears at a news conference in Youngstown, Ohio. The Roman Catholic diocese was the first in Ohio to announce that it would release a list of priests who have been removed from parishes because of sexual abuse and misconduct allegations. Now The Associated Press has learned that a second Ohio diocese, Steubenville, plans to release a list. (William D. Lewis/The Vindicator via AP, File)
In this Sept 12, 2012, file photo, Steubenville Bishop Jeffrey Monforton speaks in Steubenville, Ohio. The Associated Press has learned the diocese plans to become the second in Ohio to release a list of priests who have been removed from parishes because of sexual abuse and misconduct allegations. (Michael D. McElwain/Herald-Star via AP, File)
In this Sept 12, 2012, file photo, Steubenville Bishop Jeffrey Monforton speaks in Steubenville, Ohio. The Associated Press has learned the diocese plans to become the second in Ohio to release a list of priests who have been removed from parishes because of sexual abuse and misconduct allegations. (Michael D. McElwain/Herald-Star via AP, File)

CLEVELAND — Ohio’s largest Roman Catholic diocese plans to release a list of priests who have been removed from their posts because of sexual abuse and misconduct allegations.

The Diocese of Cleveland is now the fourth of six in the state to say it will publish a list of priests following a Pennsylvania grand jury report outlined details of sexual abuse allegations.

The Cleveland diocese said Tuesday it will release the names of abusive priests, even if they are now dead.

The Catholic Diocese of Columbus and Steubenville’s diocese said last week that they would release similar lists. The Youngstown diocese committed weeks ago to releasing the names of abusive priests.

Ohio’s other two dioceses say they already released names of priests who have been removed.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.

click me