ShareThis Page
World

South Korea, U.S. sign new cost-sharing deal for U.S. troops

| Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019, 1:33 a.m.
South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha, right, and Timothy Betts, acting Deputy Assistant Secretary and Senior Advisor for Security Negotiations and Agreements in the U.S. Department of State, shake hands for the media before their meeting at Foreign Ministry in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019.
South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha, right, and Timothy Betts, acting Deputy Assistant Secretary and Senior Advisor for Security Negotiations and Agreements in the U.S. Department of State, shake hands for the media before their meeting at Foreign Ministry in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019.
South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha, right, and Timothy Betts, acting Deputy Assistant Secretary and Senior Advisor for Security Negotiations and Agreements in the U.S. Department of State, stand for the media before their meeting at Foreign Ministry in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019.
South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha, right, and Timothy Betts, acting Deputy Assistant Secretary and Senior Advisor for Security Negotiations and Agreements in the U.S. Department of State, stand for the media before their meeting at Foreign Ministry in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019.

SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea says it has signed a new deal with the United States on how much Seoul should pay for the U.S. military presence on its soil.

Sunday’s signing followed rounds of failed negotiations on the matter that caused worries about the decades-long military alliance between South Korea and the United States.

Seoul’s Foreign Ministry says it can confirm a new cost-sharing deal for the stationing of 28,500 U.S. troops was signed Sunday.

The ministry hasn’t immediately revealed the exact amount of money Seoul would pay this year under the new deal.

Yonhap news agency says Seoul will provide about 1.04 trillion won ($924 million).

Last year, South Korea paid about 960 billion won ($830 million), but President Donald Trump has said Seoul should pay more.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.

click me