ShareThis Page
News

Candle ignites blaze at home that had no heat

| Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2005, 12:00 p.m.

A Perry South home that apparently had no heat is in ruins this morning after a candle sparked a fire that gutted the building, officials said.

Resident Lynell Broscia, 40, escaped from her two-story house at 2505 Perrysville Ave., where the fire started shortly after 1 a.m., officials said. The fire started with burning candles in the basement and spread to the roof, officials said. An initial investigation showed there was no gas service to the building, and officials think Broscia may have been using the candles for heat and light.

A second resident was not home at the time of the fire, officials said. There were no injuries reported, and there were no working smoke detectors in the house, officials said.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.

click me