Fashion police are here
Can someone tell me why some NFL teams are wearing uniforms that resemble something from the Arena Football League or NFL Europe • It seems to be the new fashion trend in the NFL. Marketing has taken over, and the teams look ugly. Not ugly like Jack Lambert with grass stains and blood all over his jersey. Ugly like the clothes Austin Powers would wear. Yeah, baby!
What happened to tradition in the NFL• Did you see some of the uniforms that teams wore last weekend?
That's one thing I love about the Steelers. There have been some subtle changes over the years but the uniform has remained consistent: black jerseys, white numbers, gold letters, gold pants, black stripe. Now that's a football uniform.
Even teams that Steelers fans have despised for years look good on the field no matter how they play. The Raiders, Cowboys, 49ers, Chiefs, Bears, and Vikings are just a few teams that remain true to old-time football.
But some franchises are putting their teams on the field with uniforms that are embarrassing. They look like small-college teams, not NFL franchises.
Here are the Top 5 travesties from last weekend.
5. Buffalo : The Bills are borderline in this worst-dressed category, but I always carry a picture in my head of Jim Kelly in all-white with the red helmet. A nice pair of blue saddle-shoes would compliment this new ensemble.
4. St. Louis : The Rams used to be one of my favorite away uniforms with the gold pants and trim. The blue pants make them look like the Greatest Show on Turf alright, but in a circus clown-sort of way.
3. Denver : The cyber Bronco on the helmet never really bothered me, but all blue with one orange stripe is very obnoxious. They do match Shannon Sharpe's personality though. If Casey Hampton played for Denver, he would look like Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka after she ate the forbidden candy.
2. Atlanta : Because of Michael Jordan's Bulls, the red-black color scheme has been a good one since the '90s. The Falcons Men-In-Black routine doesn't fit this franchise, especially with Doug Johnson at QB. They do look like they could play in the Big 12, although Texas Tech might get confused.
1. Seattle : What color is that anyway• I like the helmets, but I have seen nicer uniforms in local youth leagues. It's too bad because the Hawks look like they are a pretty good team. But they would fit right in at the Arena Bowl.
Since most of you will be watching the Steelers game this week, get a load of the Titans garb. Navy, red, white, powder blue with a thumbtack on the helmet• You tell me what's worst: the uniforms or Bud Adams' hair?