Victim of fatal fire identified
Fayette County Coroner Dr. Phillip Reilly has identified the victim killed in an early morning fire Thursday in Dawson as Robert Howard, 36.
The fire, which started at 3:16 a.m., consumed his modular home.
Howard, of 409 River Road, was pronounced dead at the scene at 5:34 a.m., apparently the result of carbon monoxide poisoning complicated by extensive burns, Reilly said.
An autopsy was being performed in Pittsburgh. Preliminary results should be known sometime today, Reilly said.
Capt. Billy Colbert Jr., of the Dawson Volunteer Fire Department, said it appeared the victim was the only person in the house at the time of the blaze.
"The fire was fully involved when we arrived," said Lt. Tommy Begonia Jr., of the Dawson fire company.
It took firefighters from Dawson, Everson, DL&V and Scottdale more than 45 minutes to get the blaze under control. "It was a pretty difficult fire," Colbert said.
There were no reports of injuries to firefighters.
Reilly said Howard's identity was confirmed by tattoos. The coroner said a scan of Howard's remains revealed nothing in the way of blunt-force trauma or other injuries that would have contributed to his death.
There is still no known cause or origin of the fire.
Trooper Brian Burden, of the state police at Uniontown and Belle Vernon barracks, said the fire marshal at the Belle Vernon barracks is investigating.