Connellsville wrestlers take down Latrobe
Despite starting five freshmen, the Connellsville wrestling team began the season with a huge victory, beating visiting Latrobe, 37-30.
Tanner Wiltrout (152 pounds) and Matt Butler (185) each won by pin to help the Falcons gain the win. Nick Beneke (126) won via major decision. Gaige Cramer (113), Ethan Kenney (138) and Jeremy Basinger (170) each fought their way to a decision. John Berardinelli (106) and Tyrone Brown (132) won by forfeit for the Falcons (1-0).
• Chartiers-Houston Tournament -- Southmoreland's Austin Griffiths (106) and Jordan Kitta (195) advanced to the semifinals. Griffiths started the tournament with two pins. Kitta received a first-round bye before getting a pin in the quarterfinals.
• Geibel 58, Albert Gallatin 41 -- Aaron Agostoni scored 20 points and Mike Noonan tallied 16 points, as the Geibel boys basketball team defeated Albert Gallatin in the Fayette County Coaches Association Tip-off Tournament at Penn State-Fayette. Tyler Schweiss added 13 points for the Gators (1-0).
Chris Uphold led the Colonials (0-1) with 17 points, and Rashaud Craig scored 14 points.
• Southmoreland 58, Elizabeth Forward 54 -- Tommy Szatkowski scored a game-high 24 points, as the Scotties edged the Warriors in the Brownsville Tip-off Tournament. Cody Hawkins scored 13 points, and Mark McCracken tallied 12 points for Southmoreland (1-0).
• Frazier 66, Carmichaels 34 -- Tyler Rock scored 23 points, and Charlie Manack added 12 points as the Commodores (1-0) beat the visiting Mikes (0-1) in nonsection action. Robert Gondura added 10 points for Frazier.
Eric Donko scored 14 points and Bryce Leach added 12 points for the Warriors (0-1).
• Latrobe 48, Mt. Pleasant 44 -- Ryan Gumbita scored 18 points, but the Vikings (0-1) lost to the Wildcats (1-0) at the Greensburg Central Catholic Tournament at St. Vincent College.
• Mt. Pleasant 58, Jeannette 53 -- Alexa Szelong scored a game-high 26 points to help the Vikings (1-0) knock off Jeannette in the Franklin Regional Tip-off Tournament.
Ciara Gregory scored 23, and Dominique Hall tallied 16 points for the Jayhawks (0-1).
• Chartiers-Houston 83, Geibel 18 -- Ashley Balzer scored a game-high 37 points, and Amanda Balzer added 16 points as Chartiers-Houston beat Geibel in the Brownsville Tip-off Tournament. Kristin Scott contributed 10 points for Chartiers-Houston (1-0).
Peyton McIntyre led Geibel (0-1) with 10 points.
• Uniontown 55, Connellsville 18 -- Danasha Harris scored 19 points, and Lydya Dennis scored 10 points as the Red Raiders (1-0) defeated Connellsville in the Fayette County Coaches Association Tip-off Tournament.
Maria Merendino led the Falcons (0-1) with seven points.
• Yough 49, Southmoreland 22 -- The Scotties (0-1) were beaten by the Cougars (1-0) in the Southmoreland Tip-off Tournament.
• Penn State-Fayette 99, Penn State-New Kensington 84 -- David Winns scored 36 points, and Brandon Cunningham scored 21 points as the Roaring Lions beat host Penn State-New Kensington in PSUAC play Thursday. Ryan Hart had 18 points and 14 rebounds, and Tyler Van Olst contributed 11 points for Penn State-Fayette (3-5, 2-0).
Lamont Wright led Penn State-New Kensington with 24 points, and Daryl Harrington posted 20 points. Justin Reed tallied 15 points.