News to use
The OSM/Vista and Pennsylvania Mountain Service Corps Americorps volunteers will hold their annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day food drive on Monday. The food drive will be held from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Kittanning Foodland in the Hilltop Plaza. The table will be located inside by the registers and volunteers will be accepting both food and monetary donations which will be donated to a local food bank.
Free hot meal set for Wednesday
A free hot meal will be served from 4-5:30 p.m. Wednesday at the New Life Center, 412 Ninth St., Ford City. The meal is served the third Wednesday of each month. No reservations are necessary.
Lenape reschedules financial aid night
Lenape Technical School will host a financial aid workshop at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the cafeteria. Event has been rescheduled from Jan. 11. The program will help parents and students understand financial aid and prepare the FAFSA form for college entrance. To register call Daniel B. Jones, guidance counselor, at 724-763-7116 ext. 3308. Refreshments will be served.
Monthly bingo changes date
The monthly bingo at the Latin American Club has been moved to the third Monday on Jan. 17. Doors open at 6 p.m. and bingo starts at 7 p.m. Admission is $15 and the jackpot is $200. Food will be available.
• There will be an organizational meeting of the Armstrong County Chapter of the Libertarian Party Saturday at 9 a.m. Saturday at Theresa's Royle Allegheny, West Kittanning. The purpose of the meeting is organize local Libertarians to better promote Libertarian candidates and to ensure ballot access for party candidates. There is at least one candidate interested in running for Armstrong County Commissioner in 2011. To be a part of this meeting, an RSVP is requested, contact Rev. Randall J. Forester at 724-445-3343.
• The Elderton High School Classes of 1953 and 1954 will meet for breakfast at 9 a.m. Tuesday at Tina's Log Cabin Restaurant in Elderton.
• The Allegheny Valley Chapter of the Women's Business Network will meet at 8 a.m. Tuesday at the UPMC Lighthouse Point at Chapel Harbor across the road from Waterworks Mall, Fox Chapel. The group meets bimonthly on the first and third Tuesdays each month. Meeting agendas include self-marketing, a business presentation by an individual member. For information contact Maryanne Barnes at 412-781-3171 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
• A special meeting will be held concerning the Elderton Junior-Senior High School Marching Band at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the band room at the high school. Meet the new marching band director and there will be a question and answer period.
• The Burrell Township Historical Society (Armstrong County) will hold its next meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Cochran's Mill Church, near the Burrell fire hall. New members are welcome. Questions may be directed to 724-842-6218.
• The Kiski Valley Chapter of the Alliance of Bikers Aimed Towards Education A.B.A.T.E. of Pennsylvania, will hold its next meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday on the second floor at the Hungarian Club, 474 Evergreen Road, Leechburg. All motorcyclists and nonriders are welcome. Discussion will include a variety of topics that affect riders and various events and rides will be planned for the next year. Questions may be directed to Harold at 724-763-2270 or the chapter's website www.kiskivalleyabate.org or Ralph D. Varrato, president, email@example.com or 724-448-5341
• The Ford City Public Library Board of Trustees will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the library. This will be the re-organizational meeting and election of officers for 2011. The meeting is open to the public.
• The Crooked Creek Watershed Association will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Armsdale Administration Building, Conference Room 103. Questions may be directed to Pam Meade at 724-783-6692.
• The Ford City High School Class of 1949 will hold its regular monthly luncheon at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday at The Villa in Cadogan. All classmates and friends are welcome.
• The Ford City Library Friends will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Ford City Public Library. Questions may be directed to 724-763-3591.
Seeking people with passion
We think Armstrong County is full of people with passion — enthusiasm for their jobs or excitement over an avocation or both. If you know someone especially excited by a job, a hobby, a volunteer effort that might be worthy of a story in a special section coming out in March, submit your suggestion. Yes, you can nominate yourself. Write to Leader Times, P.O. Box 978, Kittanning, PA 16201, e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call our newsroom to speak to a reporter, 724-543-1303. Editors and reporters will select those to be featured.