News to Use
The Apollo Memorial Library will host the premiere of "Apollo ... Our Town, Our Home," a 50-minute documentary on the history of the town, at the annual I Love My Library dinner held at 6:30 p.m. April 1, at the First Evangelical Lutheran Church, Apollo.
Tickets are $11 and include dinner and the documentary premiere. After the showing of the documentary, there will be time for dessert and reminiscing. The DVD of "Apollo ... Our Town, Our Home" will be available for purchase at the dinner at a cost is $10 each. The documentary, which was produced by the library in partnership with the Indiana University of Pennsylvania Film Department, explores the town from its pre-Colonial days to the present era.
Deadline for reservations is March 28. Questions may be directed to the library at 724-478-4214.
Ford City class needs committee members
The Ford City High School Class of 1962 is in need of class members who are interested in serving on the 50-year class reunion committee to make plans for the 50-year reunion to be held in 2012. The first meeting will be at 6:30 p.m. March 29 at the home of Judy Harriger, 536 Main St., Ford City. Those attending are asked to take a snack to share with the group. Questions may be directed to Judy at 724-763-2398 or Betty at 724-763-8996.
Book discussion set for March 28
A discussion of Mary: Mrs. A. Lincoln by Janis Cooke Newman will be held at 6 p.m. March 28 at the Kittanning Public Library, 280 N. Jefferson St., Kittanning. To reserve a copy of the book, call 724-543-1383.
Game night set for Wednesday
Game night for all ages will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Ford City Public Library. There will be board, card, and dice games etc. A special area will be available for electronic games including Wii. Children younger than 10 are asked to be accompanied by an adult or older sibling. Questions may be directed to 724-763-3591.
Leechburg Elks host acoustic group
The Leechburg Elks Lodge 377 will present a concert featuring the Clarks Acoustic group, "The Infamous Dicks", at 8 p.m. March 25 in the lodge ball room. Cost of tickets is $15 per person and are available at the Leechburg Elks and Moose, Online, and at All Ticketmaster locations. Partial proceeds benefit the Leechburg BPOE and its numerous charities.
• The Military Order of the Purple Heart Chapter 519 will hold its regular meeting at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Covenant Center, 332 N. Water St., Kittanning. Parking is in the rear of the building. All Purple Heart recipients are welcome. There are free life memberships for those who were awarded the Purple Heart. Refreshments will be served afterwards. Questions may be directed to Tom Ondo at 724-543-0290.
• ARC Manor will conduct its monthly board meeting at 5:30 p.m. Monday in the facility at 200 Oak Ave., Kittanning.
• The Ford City High School Class of 1962 will hold its monthly get-together beginning at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Lenape Heights Golf Course, 950 Golf Course Road, Ford City, Route 66 south. Any class member who has not been contacted and is interested in attending is asked to call Judy at 724-763-2398 or Betty at 724-763-8996 for a reservation or information. Event is open to all graduates, classmates, spouses, and former members and friends of the class.
• The Ford City High School Class of 1950 will hold its monthly luncheon at 1 p.m. Tuesday at Lindy's Cafe, Ford City. All interested classmates and guests are welcome. Questions may be directed to Sally at
• The Ford City High School Class of 1966 will meet to plan its 45-year reunion at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Lenape Heights Golf Course. All classmates are welcome. Questions may be directed to 724-763-8679.