News to use
The US Army Corps of Engineers will host National Public Lands Day events at various lakes throughout the Pittsburgh District. In 2010, more than 500 volunteers came to 15 of 16 Pittsburgh District recreation projects and provided 2,179 hours of work valued at nearly $47,000. National Public Lands Day keeps the promise of the Civilian Conservation Corps, the "tree army" that worked from 1933-1942 to preserve and protect America's natural heritage.
A local event at Mahoning Creek Lake will be held Sept. 24. This year the goal is to accomplish the building and placement of some fish habitat spawning boxes in the lake. If time permits, shore line clean-up will be done. Volunteers are asked to meet at 9:30 a.m. at the Milton Loop Campground pavilion, on Route 839, two miles north of Dayton.
The project will be to build wooden spawn boxes and then taking them by boat to place them in the lake. Event will take place rain or shine. Questions may be directed to Park Ranger Grover Pegg 412-719-9227.
'Hard to recycle' day set Sept. 24
The Armstrong County Board of Commissioners has announced that the fall "Hard to Recycle" Day will be held from 8 a.m. to noon Sept. 24 at the Armsdale Complex, State Route 85, Rayburn. Items to be taken include: used tires, white goods, scrap metal, used motor oil,
lead acid batteries, electronics (not including TV's), fax machines, and copiers under 35 pounds. Note: fees will apply to tires, appliances containing Freon, and hard drive destruction.
For information visit www.co.armstrong.pa.us and click on Hard to Recycle Day September 24, 2011.
Cowansville Legion holds dinner
The Cowansville American Legion Post 325 Auxiliary will hold a roast beef dinner from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Sept. 24. Cost of meal is $8. Menu will include roast beef, potatoes, vegetables, salad, rolls, beverages, and dessert.
• An organizational meeting will be held at 7 p.m. Monday at the Ford City Public Library and Community
Center. Anyone interested in helping with coordination of a Ford City Historical Museum and Genealogical Center is asked to attend. The meeting is free and open to the public. Commemorating Ford City's 125th anniversary will be on the agenda. Questions may be directed to 724-763-3591.
• The Allegheny Valley Chapter of the Women's Business Network will meet at 8 a.m. Tuesday at the UPMC Lighthouse Point at Chapel Harbor across the road from Waterworks Mall, Fox Chapel. The group meets bimonthly on the first and third Tuesdays each month. Meeting agendas include self-marketing, a business presentation by an individual member, a table topic discussion, and networking. For information contact Maryanne Barnes at 412-781-3171 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
• The Elderton High School Classes 1953 and 1954 will meet for breakfast at 9 a.m. Tuesday at Tina's Log Cabin Restaurant, Elderton.
• The new Manor Township Area Crime Watch will have a meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday at the Manor Township Municipal Building, at 306 Byron St., McGrann. The group is open to anyone living in the Manor Township area. Questions may be directed to 724-763-9215 or 724-763-6993.
• The Crooked Creek Watershed Association will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Armsdale Administration Building Conference Room 103. Questions may be directed to Pam Meade at 724-783-6692.
• The Ford City Public Library board of trustees will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday. Meeting is open to the public. The by-laws will be reviewed and anyone interested in reviewing them is welcome. Questions may be directed to 724-763-3591.
• The Burrell Township Historical Society of Armstrong County will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Cochran's Mill Methodist Church. The 2012 historical calendars are available for $8 and contain local historical photos. Story books containing local information are also available. These can be obtained from members and also at the Burrell Township fall festival on Sept. 25. An ongoing project is the dismantled log cabin from a nearby farm to be placed in the township park. Questions may be directed to 724-842-6218 or 724-354-2010.
• The Armstrong County Memorial Hospital Retirees will hold its monthly luncheon at noon Wednesday at Clark's Landing, Kittanning.
• The Ford City High School Class of 1949 will meet for its luncheon at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday at The Villa in Cadogan.
• The Ford City Library Friends will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the library. Questions may be directed to 724-763-3591.
• There will be an Elderton All-Sports Booster meeting at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at the high school.
• The Kittanning High School Class of 1957 will hold a luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Sept. 30 at Theresa's Royle Allegheny, West Kittanning. Deadline for reservations is Sept. 23, to make a reservation call 412-262-1781.