Around the Area
Ford City Heritage Days 5K Run/Walk
• The 20th annual Ford City Heritage Days 5K Run/Walk will be 9 a.m. July 5. Race forms are available at www.fordcityborough.com, www.fordcityheritagedays.com and at all Klingensmith Drug Stores, S&T Bank and Armstrong County Building and Loan. For more information, contact Jim Solak, race director, at 724-763-3986 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
High School sports Coaching vacancies
• Elderton High School is accepting applications for the positions of head soccer coach and head golf coach for the 2008-09 season. The deadline to apply is June 27. If interested, please send your resume and application to David Kristofic, principal, Elderton High School, Lytle Street, Elderton, PA 15736. For more information, call 724-354-2153.
• Physicals for any Kittanning High School or Middle School student who plans to play a sport during the 2008-09 school year will be 8 a.m. for boys and 9:15 a.m. for girls July 25 at Kittanning High School. Cost : $10, and checks should be made payable to Dr. Hepner. The physical form, which is available in the high school office, must be completed and signed by a parent or guardian.
• There will be a "Basketball in the 'Burg Camp" from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. July 14-18 at Leechburg Senior High School. The camp is for boys and girls who just finished grades 1-7. There will be jerseys, prizes and awards for participants. Cost : $40 per child and $20 for additional family members. For more information, contact Leechburg boys basketball coach Damian Davies at 724-845-6348 or email@example.com, or download a form at http://leechburg.k12.pa.us.
• The Ford City alumni association will have the Hube Rupert basketball camp June 23-28 at Red Mihalik Gym at Ford City High School. The camp is for boys and girls who will be in grades 6-12 during the upcoming school year. Registration fees for five player teams have been discounted. Teams will participate in tournament play in the evenings, as well. Additional information and registration forms can be found at www.fordcityalumni.org.
• Baseball players from Northwestern Pennsylvania are invited to tryout for the Keystone Games Great Lake Region baseball team. The team will be coached by Mercyuhurst Northeast College coach Evan Agone and will be comprised of select players entering grades 11-12. Selected players will participate in a showcase in front of college and pro scouts July 24, and then compete in a wooden bat tournament July 25-27 in York. The first round of tryouts will be 4 to 6 p.m. Sunday at Mercyhurst Northeast College and 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday at Highfield Park in Lyndora. Players need to arrive an hour before the tryout with a parent or guardian to fill out the entry form. Cost : $10. Thoses selected will incur an additional $50 participation fee. For more information, visit www.keystonegames.com.
• The Northwestern Regional Baseball Showcase will be Thursday-June 20 at Flaherty Field in New Castle. The two-day showcase will have professional scouts and is for players ages 15-21 interested in playing at the collegiate or professional level. There is a limited enrollment. To register, call 412-400-1523.
• Ford City's football team will have a four-man golf scramble at 9 a.m. (shotgun start) on July 19 at Lenape Heights. Cost : $75 per person ($300 per team). The cost includes green fee, cart, hot dog and drink at the turn, dinner and beverages, prizes and giveaways. Contact : Ken Markilinski at 724-763-9499 or e-mail John Bartolovic at Bartj@asd.k12.pa.us.
• Ford City ASA fast-pitch softball is looking for girls to play on its 12-and-under and 15-and-under teams. Contact : Barb Richard at 724-845-1003 or 724-448-1986.