West Shamokin posts 1st victory
Anthony Rocco and Kyle Lowry had four hits apiece to power West Shamokin's baseball team to its first win of the season, a 15-5 victory Thursday at Apollo-Ridge.
Lowry added a home run for the Wolves (1-2, 1-1 Section 3-AA). Apollo-Ridge (0-3), which got a pair of doubles and a homer from Ryan McGonigle, made nine errors. Ryan Held also homered for the Vikings.
The teams combined for 30 hits — 17 by West Shamokin.
• Leechburg 9, Vincentian 5 — Tyler Swarmer hit a three-run homer, finished with four RBI and earned the win for Leechburg (1-2, 1-1 Section 4-A) against Vincentian (3-3, 2-1). Lucas Teagarden was 3 for 4 with a double, home run and two RBI for Leechburg.
• Hampton 4, Kittanning 1 — The Wildcats (0-3, 0-2) struggled at the plate in a Section 4-AAA loss to Hampton (2-3, 2-1). They finished with four hits, all of which were singles. Trevor Harmon scored Kittanning's only run in the sixth as the designated runner for catcher Mike Hickman.
• West Shamokin 13, Shady Side Academy 3 (5 inn.) — Bree Wilson doubled and drove in three runs, and Anna Lasslo pitched a three-hitter with four strikeouts and two walks to lead West Shamokin (1-2, 1-1) past Shady Side Academy (0-3, 0-2) in Section 3-AA.
• Kittanning 8, Mars 6 — Kittanning (2-3, 1-1) won a Section 5-AAA game over Mars (0-7, 0-2).
• Burrell 5, Ford City 2 — Errors plagued Ford City (4-1, 2-1) in a Section 3 loss to Burrell (4-0, 3-0), the No. 1 team in the Tribune-Review News Service's Class AA rankings.
The teams entered the final inning tied, 2-2. But with two outs in the top of the seventh, Burrell took advantage of two Ford City errors to take the lead and add some breathing room.
Ashlee Panchik doubled and scored a run for Ford City, which led, 2-0, after four innings. Ana Mcafoose had an RBI.
• Leechburg 4, Elderton 1 — Kenzie Young pitched a two-hitter with 11 strikeouts and drove in two runs, and Paula McCorkle singled, doubled and scored twice, as Leechburg (2-2, 1-0) defeated Elderton (2-2, 1-2) in Section 4-A.
• Mt. Alvernia 8, Riverview 6 — Haley Buchser hit a two-run homer in the second inning for Riverview (3-1, 1-1), but Mt. Alvernia (6-0, 3-0) rallied for a Section 4-A win. Mt. Alvernia took advantage of two errors in the seventh to score the winning runs.