WTAE news director headed to Florida
Bob Longo, news director at WTAE-TV, is leaving the station early in January to take the same post at WESH-TV in Orlando, Fla.
The Orlando station, like WTAE, is owned by Hearst-Argyle Television, says Sherry Carpenter, director of creative services at WTAE.
Longo has been news director since 1999 and, in his term, oversaw such changes as the retirement of popular meteorologist Joe DeNardo, the dismissal of anchor Scott Baker and the promotion of Wendy Bell.
"I look forward to adding the news management skills I've honed over the last nine years in Pittsburgh to the great team at WESH," Longo says.
He was hired by Jim Carter, president and general manager of WESH who at one time was a sales director at WTAE.
Carter calls him a "serious journalist with a very hands-on approach" to coverage and presentation.
The Orlando station points to the journalism awards won by WTAE during Longo's tenure, including a Peabody Award and four Headliner Awards.
Longo joined WTAE from WKBW, the ABC affiliate in Buffalo, N.Y.
A search to replace Longo has begun.
-- Bob Karlovits
Morrissey will perform March 17 at Carnegie Music Hall in Oakland.
The former Smiths ' singer -- who cancelled his last two scheduled shows in Pittsburgh -- will release his 10th solo album, "Years of Refusal," in early 2009.
Tickets, $35 to $45, go on sale Friday at Ticketmaster outlets. To order by phone: 412-323-1919. Online: www.ticketmaster.com .
-- Rege Behe
• CLO Cabaret presents "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" at 2 and 7:30 p.m. Performances continue through Feb. 1 at the Cabaret at Theater Square, Downtown. $39.50. 412-456-6666.
• Pittsburgh Public Theater presents "The Lady With All the Answers" at 2 and 8 p.m. at the O'Reilly Theater, Downtown. Performances continue through Dec. 14. $35-$50. 412-316-1600.
• City Theatre presents "The Brothers Size" at 5:39 and 9 p.m. at the South Side theater. Performances continue through Dec. 21. $17-$60. 412-431-2489.
• Pittsburgh CLO presents "A Musical Christmas Carol" at noon, 4 and 8 p.m. at the Byham Theater, Downtown. Performances continue through Dec. 21. $13.50-$44.50. 412-456-6666.
• Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre presents "The Nutcracker" at 2 and 7 p.m. at the Benedum Theater, Downtown. Performances continue through Dec. 28. $20.50-$88.50. 412-456-6666.
• Pittsburgh Symphony and the Mendelssohn Choir present "Messiah" at 8 p.m. at Heinz Hall, Downtown. $9-$63. 412-392-4900.
• Pittsburgh Irish and Classical Theatre presents "Dublin Carol" at 8 p.m. and "St. Nicholas" at 10 p.m. at the Henry Heymann Theatre, Oakland. Both plays run through Dec. 20. "Dublin Carol" tickets $40-$45; "St. Nicholas," $20. 412-561-6000.