Each session will be held from 6:30-8:30 p.m. in the UPMC Shadyside West Wing Auditorium. The topics are: Wednesday, 'Approaches to Pain Management'; April 11, 'Approaches to Anxiety and Depression'; April 25, 'Approaches to Perimenopause'; May 16, 'Approaches to Children with ADD'; May 23, 'Stress Reduction and Resiliency for the Professional.'
There is a $10 fee for each session; cost for the entire series is $45. For more information or to register, call (412) 623-2374.
- 'Diabetes,' 11:15 a.m. April 3, Charleroi Senior Center, 538 McKean Ave.
- 'Managing Your Asthma' video: 10 a.m., noon and 2 p.m. April 4, Healthy Directions, 310 Third St., California; and 10 a.m., noon and 2 p.m. April 5, Healthy Directions, 3547 Washington Ave., Finleyville.
- 'Using Your Asthma Inhaler' video: 10 a.m., noon and 2 p.m. April 9, Healthy Directions, Finleyville; and 10 a.m., noon and 2 p.m. April 10, Healthy Directions, California.
For more information, contact the host center or the hospital.
The Westmoreland County Chapter of the American Red Cross is holding blood drives at the following locations:
- 10 a.m.-4 p.m. today, Westmoreland County Community College, Youngwood.
- 10 a.m.-4 p.m. today, Westmoreland Manor, South Grande Boulevard, Greensburg.
- 10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Westmoreland Regional Hospital, first floor conference room, Greensburg.
- 1-7 p.m. Wednesday, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Church, Leger Road, North Huntingdon.
Foot screenings will be conducted free of charge 1 p.m. April 4 at the Donora Senior Center, 701 Seventh St. Additional information is available by calling (724) 379-6466.
Pulmonologists from the University of Pittsburgh department of pulmonary, allergy and critical care medicine are studying an experimental drug for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
The international study will evaluate whether Spiriva (Tiotropium), a bronchial dilator that opens the airway passages, can decrease the sensation of shortness of breath during exercise.
Up to 160 patients with COPD will be included in the study, which will take place in the United States, Canada and Australia. Approximately 16 to 24 patients between the ages of 40 and 70 will participate in Pittsburgh. Participants must have a diagnosis of COPD, have a cigarette smoking history of 10 years and must not require supplemental oxygen treatment.
For more information, call (412) 692-2800.