ShareThis Page
U.S./World

Syria rebels cling to outpost

| Friday, April 20, 2012

QUSAYR, Syria -- As representatives of the more than 70 countries dubbed Friends of Syria met in Paris on Thursday to discuss aid to the country's opposition, some of the fighters here wondered if it might already be too late.

"Maybe this will be the end," said Ammar al-Bukiyah, one of the leaders of the Farouq Brigade, the largest group of rebels operating under the umbrella of the Free Syrian Army, the loosely organized armed opposition to Syrian President Bashar Assad. As al-Bukiyah spoke, shells and rockets fell nearby, rattling the windows of the house that had become a makeshift military base.

Many of the fighters in this largely empty city that was once home to about 35,000 people came here from nearby Homs, Syria's third-largest city, at the end of February, when they abandoned their positions in the Baba Amr neighborhood after weeks of fierce shelling. Since then, the fighters here controlled Qusayr's northern half, a position that has appeared tenuous more than once as the Syrian military expanded its offensive against the rebels all over the country. The rebels fought the army for the second day in a row as pro-Assad tanks and troops attempted to enter rebel-held territory from the east.

At the beginning of March, the rebels here had said they would leave Qusayr so as not to condemn it to the same fate as Baba Amr, which was largely destroyed by shelling before loyalist ground troops moved in. But as the rebels have run out of places to go, that seems to have changed. "We will fight to the death," said al-Bukiyah, a 35-year-old house painter wearing a black tracksuit who spoke as he helped manage a battle that began around 8 a.m. and ended in the early afternoon.

The rebels claimed to have destroyed a pair of Syrian tanks and an armored personnel carrier, as well as killing more than a dozen Syrian soldiers in the two days of fighting. The driver of a Syrian tank also defected during the battle, according to the rebels.

The battle here shows the complexity of the conflict that now simmers in Syria. While the anti-Assad movement began as peaceful demonstrations against a repressive government, it has for much of the past year become a struggle between armed rebels and the better-equipped Syrian military. Neither side is willing to concede turf to the other during a U.N.-brokered cease-fire that went into effect a week ago.

In Paris, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon demanded that Syria pull its forces out of cities and towns, saying keeping troops and tanks in populated areas violated the terms of the cease-fire. But he stopped short of saying the cease-fire had failed and called for the Security Council to approve the dispatch of as many as 300 monitors to determine whether the two sides were adhering to the cease-fire.

There are few civilians left in Qusayr and surrounding towns and villages. Those who have remained seem to have grown accustomed to the sounds of gunfire, shelling and rockets, walking calmly through a neighborhood that was home for dozens of fighters.

As evening fell, the rebels were preparing for a third day of battle. Al-Bukiyah used Skype to talk to Abdel Rizaq Tlass, the leader of the Farouq Brigade, asking him for reinforcements and weapons. Tlass remains in Homs, which looks increasingly as though it will be abandoned by the Free Syrian Army after two and a half months of heavy shelling.

"Homs is destroyed," al-Bukiyah said.

The fighters in Qusayr, who came from Homs, had been hoping to return there at the beginning of the week. But as the army moved against them in Qusayr and increased the number of checkpoints between the two cities, going back became increasingly unlikely. Rather, the rebels in Qusayr were talking about Homs being abandoned by fighters entirely.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.

click me