Two firefighters suffer minor injuries
Two Wilkins Township firefighters suffered minor injuries fighting a mid-morning fire Tuesday that left a family of three homeless.
The fire destroyed the home of Denise and David Friday and their daughter, Mattie, 13. No one in the family was home when the fire broke out.
Allegheny County deputy Fire Marshal Tom Hitchings said the blaze has been ruled an accident and is believed to have been caused by an electrical problem in the basement of the house located in the 900 block of Alpine Boulevard.
Wilkins Township Fire Marshal Leonard Hill and Howard Shrimp, a volunteer firefighter with Wilkins Township Volunteer Fire Company No. 4, were taken to Forbes Regional Hospital in Monroeville, according to Ron Bair, the chief of Wilkins Township Volunteer Fire Co. No. 3.
Both men had been treated and were in good condition yesterday afternoon, according to hospital spokesman Chad Amond. Amond said the hospital could not release exact information on the firefighters' injuries.
Bair said Hill hurt his knee when he partially fell through the first floor of the house while seeking the source of the fire and Shrimp fell on the first floor.
Bair said his department got the call for the fire at 9:30 a.m. The first floor of the two-story house was fully aflame when firefighters arrived, with smoke billowing from the second floor. Bair said the fire was under control by 10:48 a.m.
Wilkins Township firefighters are asking members of the community to donate clothing to help out the Fridays.
Concerned residents can call Wilkins Township Volunteer Fire Co. No. 3 at (412) 271-4000, or drop off donations of clothing or other household goods at the fire company on 109 Powell Street in Wilkins, off Greensburg Pike.
The company is seeking large man's shirts, size 8 1 / 2 shoes and 36-inch-waist men's pants. Denise Friday wears women's size 6 to 8 with a size 8 top and size 9 shoes; and the fire company is accepting clothing for Mattie in medium youth sizes.
Mattie Friday is an eighth-grader at Woodland Hills West Junior High School in Swissvale.
Dave Friday said the family had received several offers of places to stay last night and that insurance would pay for temporary lodging if necessary.
"We have great neighbors," Friday said.