Uniontown women discover 'fire dripping from ceiling'
Two people who were in a house in Fayette County when it caught fire at 11:49 a.m. Tuesday escaped without injury.
The homeowner, Betty Rafail, and an unidentified cleaning lady discovered the fire at 34 Lincoln St. in Uniontown when one of them saw "fire dripping down from the ceiling" in a basement laundry room, said fire Chief Myron Nypaver.
Nypaver said the women earlier had noticed an odor of smoke in the house, but the fire smoldered undetected until it broke through the laundry room ceiling.
"It smoldered for a long time," Nypaver said. "They could smell something, but it was in the floors and wall spaces."
A state police fire marshal was at the scene, but Nypaver said the blaze was accidental. He said it was electrical in nature.
The house sustained smoke damage throughout. Nypaver said the fire caused moderate damage to the laundry room and a bedroom directly above it.