19th century ended with good news from Greensburg Glass Co. plant
Good news on the Greensburg-area industrial scene in the final weeks of 1899 was the announcement that the Greensburg Glass Co. plant, south of the city, was to resume operations after being idle for more than a year.
After a thorough overhaul of its facilities, the plant was known as Factory No. 8 of the National Glass Co., a firm that controlled a large part of the tableware market in a several-state area. National's plants included the large McKee Brothers glass factory in Jeannette.
The Greensburg Glass operation resumed with 150 employees. It included a 13-pot furnace and a 10-pot tank under the supervision of plant superintendent J.F. Miller. A decorating department was a planned addition.
There were a number of glass plants in the Jeannette-Greensburg area around that time, frequently changing ownership and names, and some not often long in operation.
Getting down to business
Business and industrial history is but one aspect of looking back at the past, perhaps not as exciting as Indian wars and other events, but of interest. A sampling of vignettes from this aspect of history:
-- Excerpted from Robert B. Van Atta's "Vignettes" columns of Dec. 5, 1982 and 1993.