Couple put dogs to sleep after poisoning
A Westmoreland County couple are heartbroken they had to put down their two dogs after someone poisoned the animals with antifreeze.
Keith and Sharon Calisti believe the dogs -- Duke, a 7-year-old mixed beagle and Labrador retriever, and Bailey, a 3-year-old yellow Labrador retriever and boxer mix -- were poisoned in the yard of their North Irwin home sometime between 7 a.m. and 3:10 p.m. Thursday.
"We've never had any trouble with any of our neighbors before. If someone had a problem with the dogs, why didn't they just come and talk to us about them?" Keith Calisti asked Monday.
"They didn't have to poison them."
Calisti said he has an invisible fence in his yard, and the couple believe the dogs were poisoned when they were "taking a bathroom break."
"Sharon said when she let them both in Thursday afternoon, she noticed Duke could barely walk on his own, and Bailey was walking like he was drunk or something," he said.
Sharon Calisti took the dogs to a veterinarian who diagnosed the problem.
"We were told that once it's in the bloodstream, it shuts down the liver and kidneys and affects the nervous system," Keith Calisti said.