Notices from the outdoors
• Raccoon Creek State park will have a guided wildflower walk from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Saturday through its wildflower reserve. The walk will cover identification, medicinal/edible uses and folklore associated with various flowers. Call 724-899-3611.
• Allegheny Group of the Sierra Club will lead a moderate eight-mile loop hike Saturday in North Park using bridal trails. Hikers will see the bathtub spring, eat lunch at the Latodami Nature Center, try little-used trails in the "lost quarter" of North Park and use some newly re-opened trails through a marsh. Call Jim Ritchie at 412-576-0849.
• Allegheny Group of the Sierra Club will lead a moderate eight-mile hike July 26 in Laurel Hill State Park on a trail around the lake and through a grove of virgin hemlocks along Laurel Hill Creek. Hikers also will visit a historic CCC camp built during the 1930s. Call John Dern at 412-856-4642.
• Venture Outdoors will have a program on fly fishing for bass and panfish from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Aug. 8 at McConnell's Mill State Park. Participants will learn about the basics of tackle and presentation while fishing for smallmouths on Slippery Rock Creek. Cost is $66 for members, $88 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• McConnell's Mill State Park Program will have a program on its big trees at 1 p.m. July 25. The park, notably the Slippery Rock Creek Gorge, is home to several record-breaking trees. Participants will hike in to see some of them. Call 724-368-9320.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a NatureFest from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Aug. 1 at Todd Nature Reserve. Free nature programs for all ages are scheduled. Bring a lunch and a reusable cup for drinks. A full schedule of events will be posted at www.aswp.org . Call 412-963-6100.
• Butler Outdoor Club will lead a float trip July 25 down the Mahoning River. This is a Class I and II trip. If water levels are too low, this will be on the Yough River instead. Call Kate Fissell at 412-624-5279.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a hydrobike trip 9 to 11 a.m. July 26 on Raccoon Creek Lake. These are boats that pedal like a bike. Cost is $11 for members, $15 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.