Gallagher lent a hand with luggage
Right-hander Sean Gallagher flew from San Diego and arrived in Houston around 11:30 a.m. Thursday. He waited around the baggage carousel for about 45 minutes without seeing his luggage. "It was weird," he said. "I was the only one there. The thing wasn't even moving. I was like, 'Um, what's going on?' " An airport employee — coincidentally, the wife of one of Gallagher's former coaches — helped him track down his bag, and he made it to Minute Maid Park shortly after the game began.
• Of the Pirates' 30 wins, 23 have been decided by two or fewer runs. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, that 76.7 percentage is the greatest in the majors this season, followed by Washington (26 of 38, 68.4 percent) and Baltimore (16 of 25, 64.0 percent). Thirteen of the Pirates' past 15 wins were by two or fewer runs.
• Astros righty Roy Oswalt got his seventh career shutout. The previous one came Sept. 11, 2008, against the Pirates. Oswalt is 15-7 with a 2.50 ERA in 28 outings against the Pirates.
• A victory tonight against the Brewers would give the Pirates three straight wins in Milwaukee for the first time since April 30-May 2, 2004.
• Aki Iwamura batted .182 with the Pirates, but he has hit .273 with 11 walks in 11 games with Triple-A Indianapolis entering Thursday.
• Doctors said High-A Bradenton catcher Eric Fryer, who was hit in the face by a pitch July 1, won't need surgery to repair an orbital fracture. He's the second Marauders catcher this season to go down with that type of injury. Tony Sanchez is out for the season after being conked a few weeks ago.Additional Information:
8:10 p.m. today
Miller Park, Milwaukee
TV/radio: FSN/WPGB-FM (104.7), WCNS-AM (1480), WJPA-AM (1450), Pirates Radio Network, XM Channel 187
Pitchers: LHP Paul Maholm (5-7, 4.50) will start for the Pirates. LHP Doug Davis (1-4, 7.56) will start for Milwaukee.
Of interest: Davis went on the disabled list May 16 with pericarditis, an inflammation of the lining around the heart. This will be his first start since being reactivated.