ShareThis Page
Sports

Johnson could lose Olympic gold

| Thursday, July 21, 2005

RALEIGH, N.C. - Michael Johnson could lose the last of his five Olympic gold medals five years after the Sydney Games when a court in Switzerland rules on a doping scandal today.

The Lausanne-based Court of Arbitration for Sport will announce at 0800 GMT whether Johnson and his American team mates should forfeit their 4x400 meters golds because of a doping violation by squad member Jerome Young in 1999.

Athletics world ruling body, the IAAF, has recommended to the International Olympic Committee that the American squad be stripped of their medals.

The recommendation came after CAS ruled in 2004 that Young should not have been allowed to run in Sydney because of the 1999 positive test for nandrolone that was overturned by a U.S. apeals panel after a secret hearing.

The U.S. Olympic Committee disagreed that the entire team should be penalised and appealed to CAS, whose decisions are binding, to order the IOC and IAAF to "to desist in their efforts to change the results."

Boxing

  • Any rematch between new undisputed middleweight champion Jermain Taylor and Bernard Hopkins will have to wait until at least December. Taylor's promoter, Lou DiBella, said the deep cut Taylor sustained from a head-butt in the fifth round of Saturday's bout will prevent him from any contact drills for 45 days. Also, Hopkins' attorney appealed the split decision to the Nevada Athletic Commission on Wednesday. The five commissioners will review the appeal, although commission director Marc Ratner said, "Historically, in any sport, judgment calls are just that." One judge scored the fight 116-112 Hopkins, while the other two scored 115-113 for Taylor.

  • The last time Diego Corrales entered the ring against Jose Luis Castillo, he left with a swollen face, a bevy of bruises and a battered midsection from the heavy body shots he absorbed in one of the most brutal bouts in memory. Despite the pummeling, Corrales, with his left eye nearly closed, managed to score a technical knockout against Castillo in the 10th round after hitting the canvas twice earlier in the same round. Now, Corrales (40-2) intends to risk reliving that punishment when he climbs back into the ring Oct. 8 at the Thomas & Mack Center to face Castillo (52-7-1) and his vicious left hook in what could be an epic rematch. Corrales' WBO and WBC belts will be on the line -- one of which he took from Castillo when the two slugged it out May 7.

    Running

  • Olympic silver medalist Hezekiel Sepeng has tested positive for a banned steroid, Athletics South Africa said yesterday. Sepeng, who finished second in the 800 meters at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, was first tested by the IAAF on Feb. 21 in his home town of Potschefstroom, where his urine sample was found to contain norandrosterone. A second test was initially inconclusive, but retesting on July 14 confirmed the sample was positive, ASA president Leonard Chuene was quoted as saying by the South African Press Association.

    Yachting

  • John Kostecki, one of the few Americans with the only U.S.-backed entry for the 2007 America's Cup, has been removed from his role as tactician and sailing director. Kostecki will remain with BMW Oracle Racing as a consultant but won't be based in Valencia, according to a news release. Kostecki also likely will occasionally sail with the team, the release said. The move came a month after BMW Oracle Racing finished third and fourth in a series of regattas that serve as a prelude to the 2007 cup. Kostecki, of San Francisco, served as skipper during those regattas. Chris Dickson, the syndicate's chief executive officer who didn't sail in the regattas last month, will be back on the boat as skipper for the next series of regattas starting in late July in Sweden.

  • TribLIVE commenting policy

    You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

    We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

    While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

    We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

    We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

    We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

    We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

    We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.

    click me