Callet's selections for the Kentucky Derby
Toby Callet, the "Florida Handicapper" and a Squirrel Hill native, selects races to watch from major tracks across the country for the Tribune-Review. Here are Callet's selections for the Kentucky Derby.
Picks by Toby Callet
1. SEDGEFIELD: Turf and Polytrack seem to be his game.
2. CURLIN: Is he good enough to overcome the inexperience•
3. ZANJERO: Definitely not as good as the best ones.
4. STORM IN MAY: Calder shipper seems miscast.
5. IMAWILDANDCRAZYGUY: Will need a career best effort for a small share.
6. COWTOWN CAT: Nice colt is at the top of the "B" class.
7. STREET SENSE: If the rail is open, look out!
8. HARD SPUN: Recent 5-furlong drill most certainly can't help.
9. LIQUIDITY: Californian is overmatched in here.
10. TEUFLESBERG: Has already had 15 starts. Look elsewhere.
11. BWANA BULL: King of the Northern California sophomores is up against it.
12. NOBIZ LIKE SHOBIZ: Enigmatic colt must "get his act" together.
13. SAM P.: Removes blinkers for toughest test to date.
14. SCAT DADDY: Honest colt is getting good at the right time.
15. TIAGO: Don't expect lightning to strike twice.
16. CIRCULAR QUAY: Great fresh runner returns from an 8-week hiatus today.
17. STORMELLO: Multiple cross-country travels have taken a toll on him.
18. ANY GIVEN SATURDAY: Much better than his last. Not impossible.
19. DOMINICAN: Does have some familiarity with Churchill Downs.
20. GREAT HUNTER: I've always believed he's a closing sprinter. Pass.
Derby Capsule Analysis
#16 CIRCULAR QUAY, a big-time horse for course, returns to Churchill Downs and the racing wars after an 8-week hiatus. Homebred son of THUNDER GULCH is taking a path to The Derby that some pundits disapprove of. However, I believe this colt is a tremendous fresh runner and trust that Todd Pletcher knows what he's doing. Furthermore, Hall Of Fame rider Angel Cordero (who just so happens to be John Velazquez' agent) gets on a good number of Pletcher's runners. He's trained with a purpose and deserves top billing at what should be a square price!
#7 STREET SENSE soundly defeated the top choice with a rail skimming ride down the "Golden Highway" on the severely biased Breeders' Cup Day last November. Another true lover of the Twin Spires is the obvious danger if he gets his trip.
#14 SCAT DADDY continues to improve. He's certainly not without a chance.
The Longshot is #18 ANY GIVEN SATURDAY.
Exacta Key: 16/7-14-18. Exacta Part-Wheel: 7-14-18/16. Exacta Box: 7-14-16-18. Trifecta/Superfecta Key: 16/7-14-18. Trifecta/Superfecta Box: 7-14-16-18. Trifecta Wheel: 16/7-14-18/All and 16/All/7-14-18.