ShareThis Page
Steelers

NFL roundup: Steelers cut Stuvaints, Logan

| Monday, March 6, 2006

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers released safeties Mike Logan and Russell Stuvaints on Monday, two more moves designed to get them under the salary cap.

The Super Bowl champions cut backup quarterback Tommy Maddox and cornerback Willie Williams last week.

Logan, a Pittsburgh native, recently needed surgery to repair a knee injury that occurred in the Super Bowl and is likely to re-sign with the Steelers. By releasing Logan, the Steelers temporarily cleared about $1 million in salary cap room.

The Steelers are expected to re-sign Logan not only because they face losing safety Chris Hope as a free agent, but also to avoid facing a grievance for releasing an injured player.

Stuvaints, also from the Pittsburgh area, spent all or part of the last three seasons with the Steelers. He was placed on the injured reserve list Nov. 22 with a hamstring injury. He would have counted $230,000 against the cap next season.

Rams release Isaac Bruce

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- St. Louis Rams wide receiver Isaac Bruce is a free agent for the first time in his career after the team released him following failed contract negotiations.

The team cut their longest-tenured player Sunday night after talks broke down on a restructured deal. But they remained hopeful Tuesday of getting an agreement that would bring Bruce back for a 13th season.

The 33-year-old Bruce had a salary cap figure of $10 million for next season. He had been due to receive a $1.5 million roster bonus Monday, the first day of the free agency period, as part of an $8.1 million salary.

That was the final year of a seven-year, $42 million contract he signed in 2000.

The Rams had reportedly offered a three-year deal worth about $9 million, including a $5 million contract in the first season.

"Isaac has been an integral and valuable member of our organization for a long time, both on and off the field," said Jay Zygmunt, the team's president of football operations. "This has been a difficult process.

"However, we remain optimistic that a contract extension can be completed in the near future."

Bruce has been with the team since 1994, the year before they moved to the Midwest, and has been to four Pro Bowls.

Bruce is the Rams' career leader in receptions (813), receiving yards (12,278) and receiving touchdowns (77). He also caught the game-winning touchdown pass in the Rams' lone Super Bowl victory after the 2000 season.

His receiving yardage is 12th best in NFL history.

Last season, Bruce missed five games with turf toe and had 36 receptions for 525 yards. In 2004, his last full season, he had 89 catches for 1,292 yards with six touchdowns.

Over his career, he's been durable. Bruce has played every game in seven seasons and late last season he felt pretty much like the player the Rams drafted in the second round in 1994.

The Rams have only two wide receivers under contract, Torry Holt and Dane Looker. Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald are restricted free agents.

Packers re-sign RB Ahman Green

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers have re-signed running back Ahman Green to a one-year contract.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson said Monday that Green is making good progress after missing most of last season with a torn tendon in his right leg. He spent part of the offseason working out at the Packers' training facility.

A four-time Pro Bowler, Green had rushed for more than 1,100 yards in each of the previous five seasons for Green Bay.

Green also had issues off the field last year. He is due in court March 22 to face a misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge stemming from an argument with his wife last April.

Green had agreed to a plea-bargain deal but decided to fight the charge. He has since reconciled with his wife, Heather.

If convicted, Green faces up to 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.

click me