Fire victim flown to Pittsburgh hospital
DONORA - One person was flown to a Pittsburgh hospital by emergency helicopter after being pulled from a burning home early Sunday morning.
Donora firefighters responded to a fire at 852 Meldon Ave. at 3:21 a.m. The home is the residence of Melanie Cook.
When firefighters arrived at the scene, they discovered the blaze was in the kitchen area near a stove. The fire was limited to that room in the 1 1/2-story structure.
Gordon Anderson, assistant Donora fire chief, said the fire was small in nature and did not spread.
"There was very little fire, just a lot of smoke," Anderson said. "Everything was limited to the kitchen. The house is savable."
However, firefighter Casey Perrotta pulled a man - Bernie Brantly, 34 - from the building who was overcome by smoke.
Brantley's condition and the identify of the hospital to which he was flown was not available at presstime.
"He wasn't burned. It was smoke related," Anderson said of Brantley. "I know he was lifeflighted from the scene and that's about it."
The Donora Fire Department responded with 15 men and was on the scene for approximately two hours. Firefighters from Carroll Township assisted at the scene.
The fire was ruled accidental and there were no other injuries, according to Anderson.
Donora Fire Chief Patsy Vince was not available for comment.