Unattended stove blamed in house fire
Food left on a stove Thursday evening resulted in a fire that caused no injuries but damaged a house on Kenneth Avenue.
About 60 firefighters from both Arnold fire companies and Lower Burrell No. 3 responded to the 6 p.m. alarm to the fire at 1623 Kenneth Ave., according to Arnold No. 2 Fire Chief Keith Dziobak.
He said the home is owned by Kathy Kaminski and occupied by her mother, Pauline Marsico. Another daughter of Marsico's and a granddaughter were visiting her at the time.
"Something was left on the stove in the basement and they were upstairs." Dziobak said. "They had gotten out and the fire was contained to the basement and a little bit of the kitchen on the first floor."
He said there was little structural damage but the contents of the basement were heavily damaged by water. Dziobak said he did not have a dollar estimate of the damage, but added that the heavy smell of smoke and damage to the electrical wiring made the house temporarily unlivable.
Dziobak said firefighters were on the scene until about 8:30 p.m. doing a thorough check for hotspots in the walls.