Fire damages Vandergrift house
If it wasn't for Peter Tarella's dog, he might have lost everything.
The dog, which he affectionately calls Lacey, awoke him about 10 p.m. Thursday to alert him his house was on fire.
As a result, no one was injured.
Vandergrift No. 1 Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Tom Schaeffer said flames were spewing from the living room when firefighters arrived at house at 293 Sherman Ave.
"The first crew in did an excellent job at putting the fire out," he said.
Schaeffer said the firefighters were able to confine the fire to the living room area.
The home suffered smoke and water damage, but is not a total loss, he said.
"Contents in the living room are damaged," Schaeffer said. "And the couch is burnt."
Schaeffer said he was unsure of the cause of the fire. The state police fire marshal is expected to investigate the origin today.
Vandergrift Nos. 1 and 2, Hyde Park/West Leechburg and Oklahoma Borough volunteer fire companies responded to the scene.
Francine Garrone can be reached at email@example.com.