Guido: Valley-Burrell rivalry strong as ever
Valley-Burrell games are often something special, and the Aug. 31, 1984 contest was no different. Down 19-0 in the second quarter, the Vikings rallied to defeat the Bucs, 26-25. Kevin Heard scored on a 5-yard run with 43 seconds left and Mike McNabb booted the extra point. McNabb later made a tackle on the Valley 9 with 2 seconds left to preserve the victory.
Five years ago
• Kittanning piled up 269 rushing yards and scored two special teams touchdowns as the Wildcats routed Washington, 41-8. Joe Acerni scored on an 84-yard kickoff return and Brad Bothell returned a punt 48 yards.
• Josh Shelton, who spent 11 years in the Highlands school system, returned to Natrona Heights wearing a West Allegheny uniform. He rushed for 77 yards and a touchdown in the first half, but injured his ankle on the first play of the second half as the Indians blasted Highlands, 45-7.
10 years ago
• Dan Jageman rolled up a career-high 237 yards rushing and one TD while scoring another on a 19-yard pass from Adam Peck as Ford City blanked Beth-Center, 34-0.
• Ryan Zalus rushed for 229 yards and recorded two TD runs of 63 yards and one of 8 yards as Deer Lakes posted a 20-12 win over East Allegheny.
20 years ago
• Freeport senior Erik Beach, who didn't go out for football the two previous seasons, set up two first quarter touchdowns with a pass interception and an end around on fourth-and-eight as the Yellowjackets rolled past Kittanning, 31-6. Jody White had three Freeport TDs.
• Knoch won its first game for new head coach Paul Giesey, 17-0, over Moon. Giesey died in February 2009.
25 years ago
• Chris Thorpe rushed for 238 yards on 19 carries and scored three touchdowns as Fox Chapel blanked Knoch, 31-0, in a Greater Allegheny Conference game.
• Burrell's Jason Altmire scored on a 5-yard TD pass from Jeff McCarrell as the Bucs slammed Ford City, 32-0. Altmire is now a U.S. Congressman.
30 years ago
• Tony Samuels scored on a 7-yard run with 23 seconds left in the game as Highlands defeated North Catholic, 23-15. Chuch Debor's 28-yard scoring run on a reverse put Highlands ahead early.
• Kittanning quarterback Jim Stivason tossed three TD passes and booted four extra points as the Wildcats knocked off Richland, 34-14.
40 years ago
• In a major upset, Highlands shocked Kiski Area, 16-14. A two-point conversion pass from Gary Weleski to Bill Chada proved to be the difference. It would be the only regular season loss the Cavaliers would experience between 1969-72.
• Freeport got by Knoch, 14-6, on a touchdown by Tom Rassau midway through the fourth quarter. The game matched coaches who were college roommates at South Carolina, Knoch's Bob King and Freeport's Don Earley.
50 years ago
• Elders Ridge edged Saltsburg, 20-19, behind a pair of TDs from Dave Lumberger. Ray Kalsky's extra point proved to be the difference for the Rams.
• With 45 seconds to go, Freeport's Gene Sobolewski hauled in a 30-yard pass from Rich Costantino as the Yellowjackets got by Tarentum, 13-7, before a full house at Dreshar Stadium.
75 years ago
• Springdale took advantage of a small St. Joseph squad and rolled to a 32-0 victory in its season opener.
• Freeport and Washington Township played to a scoreless tie in the mud at Yellowjacket Field.