Notebook: Burrell coach skips lecture to kicker
• Burrell football coach Tom Henderson isn't putting any added pressure on senior kicker Brian Shaw. Henderson said he hasn't spoken to Shaw about last year's game against Deer Lakes -- the Buccaneers lost, 21-20, with Shaw missing a 41-yard field goal with 12 seconds left. Deer Lakes rallied for two touchdowns in the final four minutes, and the Lancers blocked an extra point. The teams, both 1-0, will meet again tonight at Lancer Stadium in an Allegheny Conference showdown. "Haven't talked about it at all," Henderson said of the missed field goal. "If he kicks it into the end zone six times again, we'll be happy. He has worked extremely hard." Last week, in a 63-0 win over West Shamokin, Shaw showed his ability to boom the ball, turning a half-dozen kickoffs into touchbacks.
• Burrell's Dayne Williams is listed as an offensive lineman and wears No. 68, but the 6-foot-4, 215-pounder got the ball in his hands last week and scored. Williams reached the end zone on a 1-yard run in Burrell's win. He finished with 9 yards on three carries.
• Ford City receiver Rory Lockhart turned in an exciting play Saturday night in the Sabers' 16-6 victory over Valley. Lockhart made a leaping, one-handed, 31-yard reception. Lockhart said he had a hand injury earlier in the week, so he actually practiced making one-handed receptions.
• Riverview is seeking another upset of perennial power Rochester when the teams meet Saturday afternoon in Oakmont. Rochester is ranked No. 1 in Class A by the Tribune-Review News Service. Two years ago, Riverview shocked the Rams, 24-23, in overtime at Rochester when the Rams were ranked No. 2.
• Plum will once again offer a free shuttle from A.E. Oblock Junior High and St. John's School to varsity home games. Shuttles will leave at 5:45 p.m. and begin returning fans at the start of the fourth quarter. Fans are encouraged to use the shuttles due to limited parking at the high school. Plum's home opener is 7 tonight against McKeesport.