Communities in the North Hills have a number of activities and services for outdoor spring cleaning. Volunteers for roadside cleanups should wear brightly colored long sleeve shirts and pants, sturdy shoes and gloves. Supplies are provided.
• McCandless: Saturday, April 6, 10 a.m. to noon. Sign up for roadside cleanup by calling 412-364-0616 Ext. 118 or by sending an email to the town’s Environmental Advisory Committee at: [email protected] Volunteers will meet 9:30 a.m. at town hall on Grubbs Road for a continental breakfast before work begins.
• Bradford Woods: Saturday, April 13, 10 a.m. Volunteers will be clearing invasive garlic mustard in the Bradford Woods Reserve so it can be replaced with wildflowers. Participants should bring their own gloves and a trowel to dig. Bags, water and snacks provided. The Reserves is located off off Lincoln Road.
• West View: Saturday, April 20, 9 a.m. to noon. Community cleanup volunteers will meet in the rear lot of the VFW on Center Avenue.
• Ross: Sunday, April 28, 9 to 11 a.m. Walk/Bike Ross organizing volunteers to clean along Babcock Boulevard between Three Degree and Rochester roads. Meet up is at Meineke Car Care near the intersection with Seibert Road.
• Franklin Park: Starting April 8, residents can place leaves in biodegradable bags that can be folded closed to the curb for pickup. Bags must be placed out by 6 a.m. Pickup will continue the week of April 15.
• Marshall: Yard wasted collection began April 1 and will run through early December. Grass, weeds, brush and branches 4 inches or shorter should be placed unbagged in “green top” containers. Additional barrels can be obtained for $10 from Vogel Disposal, 724-625-1511. Excess waste also can be placed in biodegradable paper sacks.