Washington, D.C., man convicted in Arnold child rape | TribLIVE.com
TribLive Logo
| Back | Text Size:
https://triblive.com/local/valley-news-dispatch/washington-d-c-man-convicted-of-arnold-rape/

Rich Cholodofsky

A Westmoreland County jury convicted a former Arnold man of rape and other charges related to accusations made by a teenage boy who claimed he was repeatedly sexually assaulted.

Delonte Haynes, 28, of Washington, D.C., could face more than five decades in prison as a result of the convictions.

Jurors deliberated about four hours on Friday before finding Haynes guilty of four felony offenses: the rape of a child, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, indecent assault and corruption of minors.

There were no disturbances inside or out of the courtroom following the announcement of verdict.

A day earlier, Haynes’ supporters and members of his accuser’s family had a physical altercation during a lunch break in front of the courthouse. Police responded to the fight but no arrests were made.

On Friday, only Haynes’ accuser was in the courtroom for the verdict. The teen’s mother sat alone outside the courtroom while members of Haynes’ family were not present at the courthouse.

Haynes will be sentenced in about three months by Westmoreland County Judge Rita Hathaway.

Originally, prosecutors in court documents and during a hearing this week said Haynes, if convicted of all four counts, could face a potential life sentence and that they would seek a mandatory minimum sentence of 100 years in prison.

Assistant District Attorney Rebecca Calisti said Friday afternoon she recalculated the potential sentence and now believes Haynes could receive a maximum sentence of up to 54 years behind bars.

Calisti said she will ask the judge impose that penalty.

“Society needs to be protected from this man, who committed two sexual assaults in a matter of nine or 10 months,” Calisti said.

Haynes rejected a plea bargain offer at the start of the week in which he would have received a 15 to 30 year prison sentence.

Calisti argued during the two-day trial that Haynes forced himself on his now 15-year-old accuser, who contended he was exposed to pornography and forced to engage in sex acts multiple times in 2014 and 2015 when he lived in Arnold.

“He said he told him ‘No, I didn’t want it to happen,’ but it happened,” Calisti said. “Time after time after time.”

Haynes testified Friday that the accusations were a lie. He attempted to support that claim by telling jurors he previously pleaded guilty to a sex charge in 2016 in Washington, D.C., that resulted in his serving a four-month jail sentence.

Assistant Public Defender Michael Garofalo asked Haynes why he pleaded guilty to the Washington, D.C., charge but sought a trial in Westmoreland County.

“Nothing did happen. I’m not guilty. This is made up,” Haynes said of the Arnold allegations.

Copyright ©2019— Trib Total Media, LLC (TribLIVE.com)