Hutchinson teen identified as victim of fatal Sewickley Township crash |
TribLive Logo
| Back | Text Size:

Renatta Signorini

Counselors will be available at Yough Senior High School after a student died in a crash over the weekend in Sewickley Township.

Graydon Hoffman, 14, died Saturday at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh from injuries he sustained in the crash, the Allegheny County Medical Examiner confirmed Monday.

State police said he was a passenger in a pickup truck that tried to pass another vehicle on Mars Hill Road just before 2 p.m. Hoffman had just completed his freshman year.

An online fundraising page for Hoffman’s funeral expenses had raised nearly $15,000 toward a $20,000 goal by Monday afternoon.

Counselors will be available at the high school from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday. If there is a need, the counselors will continue to offer help the rest of the week.

“When these types of unspeakable tragedies occur, students and families handle their emotions in different ways,” a message on the district’s website said. “If you see changes in your child’s behaviors, or have concerns for members of your family, there will be counselors on hand at the high school for students in need of grief support, as well as additional resources to assist in these types of situations.”

State police said two vehicles were traveling south on Mars Hill Road — a Ford pickup driven by Ryan E. Peters, 19, and a Chevrolet Trax driven by Dennis J. Pons, 48, both of West Newton.

Peters attempted to pass Pons near Harvey Lane, but the two vehicles collided, troopers said. Peters, who had two passengers, then crashed into utility pole.

All three were transported from the scene by ambulance and medical helicopter for treatment. Peters was taken to UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh. It was unclear where the second passenger was taken.

Pons was not hurt, police said.

The school district said Peters and the second passenger are both students.

Hoffman was a cadet firefighter with Hutchinson fire department, according to a Facebook post. His cause and manner of death were pending autopsy results.

Neither his mother nor the organizer of the online fundraising page could be reached.

Copyright ©2019— Trib Total Media, LLC (