Education

Woodland Hills board president resigns after felony charges


Terri Lawson, accused of misusing nearly $10,000 from Rankin Borough, resigns from school board
Megan Trotter
By Megan Trotter
2 Min Read Feb. 18, 2026 | 5 hours Ago
Go Ad-Free today

Woodland Hills School Board President Terri Lawson has resigned following controversy surrounding suspected misuse of nearly $10,000 in unauthorized purchases on a borough credit card.

Lawson, former Rankin borough manager, was charged with felony counts of theft and fraud as well as misdemeanor counts of forgery and tampering with records in Rankin Borough last week.

A statement on the district’s website said that the board was “aware of the recent charges against the current board president” and that the board will “take action to fill the vacancy” at a meeting on Wednesday night.

Between August and December, Lawson, as manager of Rankin, racked up nearly $10,000 in unauthorized purchases on a borough credit card, according to court records.

The criminal complaint said that the card was used more than 130 times to make purchases at restaurants, grocery stores, marijuana dispensaries, Fine Wine and Good Spirits stores and other establishments.

In July, Lawson supplied documentation claiming she canceled the card, but upon inspection by bank staff it was determined the papers were likely forged, the complaint said.

The police investigation also found that Lawson took $620 from the sewer fund and was in the process of approving unauthorized bonuses to two borough employees.

“Ms. Lawson, unselfishly and after much prayer and thought, has decided to step down as president … She will continue to serve on the board and will remain focused on keeping the school district a great success,” said Phil DiLucente, Lawson’s attorney in a statement to TribLive.

Woodland Hills School District Spokesman Andrew Chiappazzi did not respond to immediate request for comment about the nature of Lawson’s future role on the board Wednesday morning.

“The board is currently evaluating options relating to her current service on the board,” a statement said.

The school board’s statement also clarified rumors surrounding Superintendent Joe Maluchnik, who was placed on administrative leave in November 2025.

“The Superintendent’s current administrative leave has been changed to military leave during his attendance at an annual training. His administrative and military leave is unrelated to any allegations of District fund misuse,” the statement said.

Share

Tags:

About the Writers

Megan Trotter is a TribLive staff writer. She can be reached at mtrotter@triblive.com.

Push Notifications

Get news alerts first, right in your browser.

Enable Notifications

Content you may have missed

Enjoy TribLIVE, Uninterrupted.

Support our journalism and get an ad-free experience on all your devices.

  • TribLIVE AdFree Monthly

    • Unlimited ad-free articles
    • Pay just $4.99 for your first month
  • TribLIVE AdFree Annually BEST VALUE

    • Unlimited ad-free articles
    • Billed annually, $49.99 for the first year
    • Save 50% on your first year
Get Ad-Free Access Now View other subscription options