• Children are invited to work on Halloween crafts and projects from 1 to 2 p.m. Oct. 3 in the Children’s Library. The activities are for children aged 3 to 5. Call the library to make a reservation.
• Children are invited to play with Legos from 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 3 in the Children’s Library.
• Author Richard Gazarik will read from his latest book from 7 to 8 p.m. Oct. 3 in Rooms A and B. He will read from “The Mayor of Shantytown, The Life of Father James Renshaw Cox.” Call the library to register.
• Rachel Long, a physician with Lifeline Therapy in Penn Hills, will present on preventing dizziness from 1 to 2 p.m. Oct. 4 in Rooms A and B.
• Gwen Tucker will lead a beginners Zumba class from 9 to 10 a.m. Oct. 5 in Rooms A and B. Call her at 412-277-1677 for more information.
• Licensed therapy dogs from Finnegan and Friends will visit the library from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 5 in the Children’s Library. Call the library to register.
• Children are invited to work on Halloween crafts and projects from 1 to 2 p.m. Oct. 3 in the Children’s Library. The activities are for children aged 6 to 11. Call the library to make a reservation.
• The Penn Art Group will meet from 10 a.m. to noon Oct. 8 in Rooms A and B. The painting group meets every Tuesday at the same time.
• Children up to 18 months and caregivers are invited for Baby Storytime from 10:30 to 11 a.m. Oct. 8 in the Children’s Library. There will be rhymes, stories and songs to help babies develop listening skills.
• Young adules are invited to watch an anime movie from 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 8 in the Community Room. The movie is “Cowboy Bebop: The Movie.” Contact the library to sign up.
• The Scrabble Club will meet from 6:30 to 8:15 p.m. Oct. 8 in Room B.
• The Advanced Knitting group will meet from 7 to 8 p.m. Oct. 8 in Room A.
• Children aged 18 months to 5-years-old and their caregivers are invited for Toddler Story Time from 11:30 a.m. to noon Oct. 9 in the Children’s Library. There will be interactive stories, songs and rhymes to improve vocabulary and exercise imagination.
• George Bender will lead a yoga session from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 9 in rooms A and B. Contact him at 412-793-2108 for more information.
Hat Fashion through the Ages
The Penn Hills Library Foundation will host Jean Kanouff’s “Hat Fashion through the Ages” starting at 1 p.m. Oct. 19 at the library, in its Community Room. Attendees will wear and see vintage hats, which will include brief biographies of historical figures of those who may have worn them. The cost is $20 per ticket. Proceeds will benefit youth programming at the library.
Anthony Stasiak, of Penn Hills, turned 100-years-old on Sept. 18. He is a U.S. Air Force veteran of WWII. Stasiak is the father of three children, has two grandchildren and four great grandchildren.
Fall Bingo and Luncheon
The William McKinley Citizens Center will host a bingo and luncheon event starting at 1 p.m. Oct. 13 at its 1110 Center Avenue site. Doors open at noon. Regular admission is $20 and seniors get in for $15. Tickets include lunch and 15 games of bingo.
There will also be specials, a Chinese auction and instant bingo.
Reserve a spot by calling 412-828-7350.
Support group offered Tuesdays at church
Zion Lutheran Church in Penn Hills hosts a support group for people who have loved ones who are addicted to alcohol at 7 p.m. every Tuesday.
The church is at 11609 Frankstown Road.
Networking group meets twice monthly
The Women’s Business Network, Monroeville Area Chapter, meets from 8:15 to 9:15 a.m. every second and fourth Wednesday of each month at Panera Bread, 400 Penn Center Blvd., Wilkins Township. Call Jo Luncher at 412-372-3411 for more.
Plum High School alumni sought
The Plum High School Class of 1979 will hold a 40th-anniversary celebration from 5:30 to 11:30 p.m. Oct. 11 at the Harmar House, 1321 Freeport Road.
The event will cost $65, which includes dinner and access to a cash bar.
Registration will be from 5:30 to 6:30 and will be in conjunction with a cocktail hour. For more information, send email to [email protected].