'Good shot' for Vanderbilt's Franklin to become Penn State's coach
College Football Videos
The Penn State coaching search is moving toward resolution, with Vanderbilt's James Franklin emerging as a top candidate.
The Washington Post quoted an unnamed source Wednesday saying Franklin had a “good shot” of being hired by Penn State.
Vanderbilt athletic director David Williams told WGFX-FM in Nashville, “There will always be people who want what you want. Successful people and programs have to understand that's what you live with.”
San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman interviewed for the vacant job, according to separate reports from CBS and ESPN. Roman has 16 years of experience as an NFL assistant and was the offensive coordinator at Stanford from 2009-10.
Roman was a candidate during Penn State's coaching search two years ago. He told Comcast SportsNet then: “A job like Penn State is a lifetime job. That's a job, if I were to become the head coach there, I wouldn't leave there.”
Miami athletic director Blake James, meanwhile, told the Miami Herald, “I believe (Al Golden) will be our coach going forward.” Golden, who interviewed with Penn State on Saturday, said as recently as Monday he was “not a candidate for another position.”
But a TV station in Philadelphia and a radio station in Florida reported Golden is not out of the running.
Another coach who has been interviewed by Penn State, former Tennessee Titans coach Mike Munchak, interviewed with the Detroit Lions on Wednesday, according to multiple reports.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Newest Penguin Kessel’s unique shot is what makes him so special
- City police investigate death in Squirrel Hill
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August
- Ex-teammates say Kessel unfairly criticized
- Tiny black weevils booming in W.Pa.
- Fun-seekers won’t let a Pittsburgh regatta without races get them down
- Connellsville, Mt. Pleasant fireworks postponed until Sunday
- Hazlewood man shot in Homestead
- America’s path to freedom reflected in region’s numerous historic sites
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 4, 2015