Pens' defense welcomes back Orpik, but Letang departs with injury
The Penguins are trying to get under the NHL's $64.3 million salary cap.
Injuries are complicating that situation, but not limiting their roster movement.
Defenseman Kris Letang did not practice Saturday because of a lower-body injury, coach Dan Bylsma said after a practice in West Point, N.Y.
Letang, a Norris Trophy finalist as the top defenseman last season, will not practice Sunday and is scheduled for a medical re-evaluation when the Penguins return to Pittsburgh on Monday, Bylsma said.
Bylsma added that he was not sure of a timetable for Letang's recovery.
A projected lengthy absence would provide the Penguins an option of placing Letang on the long-term injury (LTI) list. That designation would require him to miss 10 games and 24 days, but it would allow the Penguins to temporarily shave Letang's $3.5 million from their salary cap.
The Penguins also could place injured backup goalie Tomas Vokoun (blood clot) on LTI, a move that would free $2 million in cap space until Vokoun's return.
Any LTI designations would allow the Penguins to safely sign forward Chuck Kobasew, who was to be offered a one-year contract this weekend. Kobasew, in camp on a tryout contract, must make at least $550,000, the veteran minimum.
All clubs must be in compliance with the cap when rosters are set at 23 players Monday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins recall Maatta in time for season opener in Dallas
- Opening season away from home may be a good thing, Penguins say
- Penguins are hoping their days of drama are finally behind them
- Trib NHL predictions for 2015-16
- Penguins notebook: Crosby will `always remember’ NHL debut
- Penguins rally in wake of Dupuis injury
- Fleury’s demeanor helps keep Penguins loose, him playing his best
- Penguins make moves in advance of roster deadline
- With a few older players on roster, Penguins hope to get better with age
- Penguins at a glance entering 2015-16 season
- Penguins’ prospects could hinge on health of Letang, Maatta